Wednesday 14 July 2010

Welcome to the blog!

Today I am 7 weeks and 5 days pregnant - that's a whole 5 days further than my last pregnancy got, and so to celebrate I've decided to start writing a blog to track my/our progress.

Sorry if I sound flippant - it's the only way I can deal with the fact that earlier this year I suffered a miscarriage. We all assume it will never happen to us - but of course, miscarriage is indescriminate, and can and does affect anyone. I dealt with it the way I deal with most things - I allowed myself to wallow in self-pity for approximately a week, then gave myself a mental slap around the face and pulled myself together. As a mother to a 2 and a half year old I didn't see I had much choice - he needed me too.

So - fast forward 4 months and you can imagine my delight when I realised I was actually pregnant again! The euphoria was quickly replaced with the sinking realisation that I was going to have to go through the early stages of pregnancy and all its uncertainty for a third time.

I have now passed the 7 week milestone of when my miscarriage occurred last time, and am feeling slightly more optimistic. All the right pregnancy symptoms are there - body-shattering fatigue, wooshes of nausea and of course the obligatory stretchy pains which are reassuring yet terrifying at the same time.

My job now is to sit it out patiently until I get the date for my 12 week scan. I've never known time to pass so slowly ....

No comments:

Post a Comment